|Canning and Preserving For Dummies - 2nd Edition
Thought about canning and preserving your own food? Maybe you haven't given it a try because you believed it would be too involved. The truth is, today's methods and procedures for home-canning, freezing, and drying food are simpler and easier than ever. And now, with this easy-to-follow book, you'll get the information you need to can and preserve food safely.
Canning and Preserving For Dummies makes putting up fruits and vegetables in your home as easy as pie. Featuring up-to-date safety guidelines and simple, fun techniques, this practical, friendly guide is for anyone who wants to enjoy delicious, do-it-yourself treats year-round, or even give them as gifts! You get all the juicy details on:
- Water-bath canning
- Pressure canning
- Finding the right supplies and equipment
Canning and Preserving For Dummies also features yummy, easy-to-do recipes that include preparation times, cooking times, processing times, and the yield you should expect from your efforts. You'll see how to make everything from apple butter, pear-raspberry jam, and bread and butter pickles to chicken stock, tomatillo salsa, and white chili. You'll also discover how to:
- Know the acidity level of your food
- Pick and prepare fresh fruit
- Line your jars with liquid
- Create jams, jellies, and marmalades
- Preserve chutneys, relishes, and sauces
- Pickle vegetables
- Combine foods for convenience
- Select food for freezing
- Protect the life of your dried food
Providing troubleshooting tips for home-canned creations, sources for locating equipment suppliers, a metric conversion guide, and definitions of preserving terms, Canning and Preserving For Dummies has just what you need to fill your pantry with savory homemade fare.
Table of Contents
Part I: Getting Started.
Part II: Water-Bath Canning.
- Chapter 1: Everything You've Wanted to Know about Canning and Preserving, but Didn't Know Who to Ask.
- Chapter 2: Walk the Walk, Talk the Talk: The Language and Gear of Canning and Preserving.
- Chapter 3: On Your Mark, Get Set, Whoa!: The Road to Safe Canning and Preserving.
- Chapter 4: Come On In, the Water's Fine!: Water-Bath Canning.
- Chapter 5: Simply Fruit.
- Chapter 6: Sweet Spreads: Jams, Jellies, Marmalades, and More.
- Chapter 7: Condiments and Accompaniments: Chutneys, Relishes, and Sauces.
- Chapter 8: Pickle Me Timbers!
Part III: Pressure Canning.
- Chapter 9: Don't Blow Your Top: Pressure Canning.
- Chapter 10: Preserving the Harvest: Just Vegetables.
- Chapter 11: Combining the Harvest: Soups, Sauces, and Beans.
Part IV: Freezing.
- Chapter 12: Baby, It's Cold Inside!: Freezing Food.
- Chapter 13: Meals and Snacks in a Snap: Freezing Prepared Foods.
- Chapter 14: Savoring the Days of Summer: Freezing Fruits and Vegetables.
Part V: Drying.
- Chapter 15: Dry, Light, and Nutritious: Drying Food.
- Chapter 16: Snacking on the Run: Drying Fruit.
Part VI: The Part of Tens.
- Chapter 17: Ten (Or So) Troubleshooting Tips for Your Home-Canned Creations.
- Chapter 18: Ten (Or So) Sources for Canning and Preserving Supplies and Equipment.
Appendix: Metric Conversion Guide.